Fort Hughes Blockhouse
Hazen Park, Wharf Road, Oromocto
This is a reconstruction of the original block house built in 1781 to keep an eye on the Planter community of Maugerville up river – who had changed sides more than once since hostilities began in 1775 – and to make sure they didn’t change their minds again. The fort was also a way station along the route from Saint John to Quebec, and protected a masting operation. The Royal Navy needed masts very badly and New Brunswick was one of the few places in the world with white pine big enough for ship masts.