Sheffield United Church
2169 Route 105, Sheffield
Sheffield and its neighbour Maugerville are Planter communities, established by Puritan settlers from Massachusetts in 1762-3, who were Congregationalists. The previous church on this site, originally Congregationalist, was moved from Maugerville to this location during the winter of 1789. Accounts state all men from the community and “more than a hundred yoke of oxen” helped to move the church along the frozen river. The present church was constructed in 1840 in the American meeting house style. This church congregation has had a service every Sunday since it was founded in 1763.