9. Grace United
436 chemin Tilley Road, Gagetown (1856)
In 1818, Reverend William Burt, an Englishman, while preaching at revival meetings in Jemseg crossed the St. John River to Gagetown. Since there was no church building in the village the story goes that he preached a sermon from an ox-cart on the front street. He so impressed those who heard him he was invited to return. This was the nucleus of Methodism in the area.
On April 1, 1856 W.F. Bonnell deeded land for a Methodist church to be built in Gagetown. A parsonage was built in1860 and was in use by the clergy until 2005.
The biggest change in the history of this church came in 1925 when the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregation churches united to form the United Church of Canada. The Gagetown Methodist Church became Grace United Church. Today Grace United, the Narrows and Youngs Cove form a 3 point charge.
In the early 1960’s the building was raised and a basement with church hall, kitchen and Sunday school room were added. In 1993 the windows were replaced and the early 2000’s saw an electric furnace installed.
On October 1, 2006 this well maintained church celebrated their 150th anniversary. To celebrate this event a commemorative stamp was issued by Canada Post featuring Grace United Church.