8. St. John’s, Anglican
3 Court House Road, Gagetown
In 1790 Loyalists, many of them from New York, erected a Georgian style church here on land donated by Daniel Babbitt. The 26 pews built in the church were auctioned off to the parishioners of the day. In addition to the pews sold, the church had special pews for “singers” and “blacks”.
Almost a century later, the first church, by then too small and in poor repair, was replaced by the Gothic Revival church which stands today. In 1899 the church tower was added, and the bell from the old church, first installed in 1803, was placed in the new tower. Today, more than two centuries later, the bell still calls worshipers to service.