5. Sheffield United Church
2169 Route 105, Sheffield
The origins of Sheffield United lie with the Planters, settlers from Massachusetts who established a Congregationalist Church (the first Protestant church in New Brunswick), about eight kilometres (five miles) upriver from the present site in 1763. In 1789, 100 yoke of oxen were harnessed to this “meeting house” to pull it down the frozen St. John River to the lot where the church now stands. In 1963 memorial chimes were installed to mark the 200th anniversary of its founding.