14. St. James Church Anglican
3365 Route 845, Long Reach
This Gothic Revival church stands about 300 feet above the St. John River, along a stretch known as the “Long Reach”. It is opposite Caton’s Island, where the first Christian religious service was performed along the river in 1611. Consecrated in 1845 by Bishop Medley, St. James is the earliest, still-serving church to be consecrated by him. When the church’s original high-walled pews were replaced in 1915, the panels were used as wainscoting around the interior walls. The focal point of the interior of St. James is the triple-decker pulpit surrounded by a circular communion rail, the only one of its kind in an Anglican Church in New Brunswick.
Tours on Request: call (506) 763-3183