11. Oak Point, Anglican
chemin Oak Point Beach Road, Oak Point
The first church built at Oak Point was a log church completed in 1790. In 1820 it was torn down and replaced by a church named St. John’s Church. This building burned in 1838 – tradition ascribes the fire to an earthquake shock!
The present Georgian style church was consecrated on June 7, 1840, by the Venerable Archdeacon Coster. At that time the name was changed to Saint Paul’s Church. The land which the church stands on was donated by Peter Berton, the great grandfather of Pierre Berton, noted Canadian author.
Saint Paul’s is part of the Parish of Greenwich and sometimes combines summer services with other nearby churches.
This church is situated on a beautiful country road along the St. John River. Adjoining the church is a cemetery dating back to 1790.